The recent controversy surrounding Google’s TrueView skippable in-stream video ads has garnered significant attention due to concerns about ad placements and transparency within Google’s online-ad business. We aim to provide a clear understanding of the situation and offer reassurance that we have taken proactive measures to address any potential issues.
Controversy in TrueView Ad Placements
A recent article published in The Wall Street Journal shed light on potential challenges related to ad placements and transparency in Google’s TrueView skippable in-stream video ads. The controversy revolves around allegations that some ads were not placed in accordance with Google’s own guidelines, raising doubts about their effectiveness and adherence to quality standards.
We want to assure you that we have been aware of these concerns for over 9 months and have actively worked to mitigate any risks. As a client of XAQ10, you can be confident that your ad budgets have been allocated appropriately and your campaigns have been optimized to avoid any potential issues associated with the placements mentioned in the research report.
Key Concerns Raised by the Research Report
- Non-compliant Placements: Some ad placements did not meet Google’s TrueView standards, such as being muted, non-skippable, or appearing in non-video content environments. These placements may compromise the intended audience experience and impact the effectiveness of the ads.
- Invalid Traffic and Measurement: The research raises concerns about the possibility of “invalid traffic,” which could potentially inflate costs for advertisers. Additionally, the level of independent verification and measurement provided for TrueView ad campaigns is also questioned.
- Brand Safety and Association: TrueView ads were found on websites with copyright violations and platforms known for disseminating disinformation. Such placements pose risks to brand reputation and may not align with advertisers’ intended target audience or content preferences.
The Solution: Ensuring Effective Placements
To address these concerns and ensure effective ad placements, advertisers can take a straightforward step:
Exclude YouTube Video Partners:
By excluding YouTube Video Partners from TrueView ad placements, advertisers can minimize the risks associated with non-compliant environments, invalid traffic, and potential brand safety issues. This ensures that your ads will be shown on YouTube channels rather than independent sites within the Google Video Partner network.
How to Exclude YouTube Video Partners
For advertisers seeking to exclude YouTube Video Partners from their TrueView ad placements, follow these simple instructions:
- Access the Google Ads platform and navigate to the “Content” tab.
- Select “Exclusions” and choose “Placement exclusions.”
- Edit the exclusions by clicking on the pencil icon.
- Enter the URL ”googleadsense_without_youtube.com” and save the changes.
By proactively excluding YouTube Video Partners from your TrueView ad placements, you can mitigate the potential issues highlighted in the research report. This ensures that your ad budgets are allocated effectively and align with Google’s TrueView standards. Additionally, it helps maintain brand safety by avoiding associations with questionable content.
Rest assured that as a client of XAQ10, your campaigns are strategically positioned for optimal visibility and engagement on YouTube channels. As your trusted partners, we remain committed to navigating any challenges in the advertising landscape and delivering effective campaigns that achieve your strategic marketing goals.